4 December 2013: - The Roll Back Malaria Partnership welcomes the pledges announced at the fourth replenishment conference of the Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria held in Washington on December 3. The financing mechanism has received new commitments of USD 12 billion for the next three years, providing substantive funding beyond the 2015 MDG deadline. "The Global Fund is one of the main pillars of the international development architecture," said Fatoumata Nafo-Traoré, Executive Director of the RBM Partnership, " We must all take collective responsibility to do what it takes to defeat malaria, TB and HIV/AIDS." The commitments made in the US capital represent a 30 percent increase over the pledges secured at the third replenishment of the Global Fund in 2010. The financing gap for the 2014-16 period is estimated at USD 26 billion. Approximately 95 percent of financial support to the Global Fund has come from donor governments; the remaining 5 percent from private foundations, corporate donors and individuals.
Read Global Fund press release
3 December 2013, Bern, SWITZERLAND: - -- The Swiss Malaria Group (SMG) presents its 2013 landmark malaria photo exhibition in the Swiss Capital from December 3 to 5. The exposition is supported by the Bern municipal council and sponsored by the 17 members that form the SMG, including the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) within the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs. The aim of the Swiss Malaria Group is to raise awareness of malaria and its impacts among decision makers and the public and to increase Swiss support for organisations that are actively involved in the fight against malaria.
More info on SMG photo exhibit
About the SMG
2 Deecember 2013, Nairobi, KENYA: - The Harmonization Working Group convenes endemic country representatives in Nairobi, from December 2 to 6, to prepare them for the Global Fund New Funding Modality (NFM) that will be launched in 2014. Countries will be assessed on their capacity to establish a country level dialog and to develop technically sound concept notes. The state of ‘country readiness’ will be mapped and technical support needs be identified for each country. Participating countries include those with the most urgent funding gaps in sub-Saharan Africa in the next three years, as well as selected countries from Asia.
View meeting agenda